WARNING: WE TOOK EXTREME PRECAUTIONS BEFORE WORKING WITH THE ELECTRICAL IN OUR COACH. WE UNPLUGGED FROM THE 50 AMP RECEPTACLE AND SWITCHED OFF BOTH THE CHASSIS AND COACH BATTERIES. I ALSO TESTED THE WIRES I WAS GOING TO BE CUTTING WITH A VOLTAGE TESTER, MAKING SURE THERE WAS NO CURRENT. PLEASE BE SAFE WHEN WORKING ON ANYTHING ELECTRICAL IN YOUR COACH.
It’s a bit disconcerting when you have things go wrong with a brand new coach…well, any coach really. We started noticing that one of the LED lights near the dinette was flickering and sometimes did not light at all. Then, sometimes it seemed to work fine. A quick search on a couple of RV forums mentioned a particular model of LED light that had a bad batch where the soldering was not right. I suspected we had at least one of those lights, so I pulled the light assembly out of the roof and found the part number which matched the known bad batch.
I thought about making a service appointment to get it fixed, but as you may have already read in a previous post, I am not very happy with lead times for service appointments at Lazydays. I then thought about purchasing some new lights from Amazon, but I didn’t think it was right to have to buy a part that was defective.
So I ended up emailing the manufacturer and explained our issue. They took full responsibility for the bad batch and sent up not one, but two new LED light assemblies, which we got days after making the inquiry. In the meantime, another LED light right above our cooktop started acting funny, so it was a good thing they sent us two of them. The lights sat for a long time and then we noticed on our St. Augustine trip that the LED light in the half bath was acting up also. Geez…
When we got back from St. Augustine, I emailed the manufacturer again, explaining the situation and they said they would send more lights. I finally decided to get off my butt and replace the original two that were faulty, I was putting it off because they were “hardwired” into the wires in the ceiling with crimped, not screw, caps to keep the wires together. This means I had to cut the wires, strip them and then attach the new light assembly. I am not very handy, so I knew what to do, but just wasn’t confident.
I had my plan an it worked great. As you can see in the picture, I got the two faulty LEDs replaced in about 15 minutes. When the other lights come, I will definitely have the confidence to do it again.